How to Qualify
Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization working with Roanoke City and other housing partners to provide affordable homes to qualified families. Our goal is to act as a leader in neighborhood renewal and improve the lives of families by building and rehabilitating homes in target neighborhoods and selling them at no profit with a zero-interest loan. We welcome all families who want to join with us in this mission!
Review the guidelines below to see if you qualify for Habitat partnership:
|As a single mother, it has been difficult to keep up with the daily needs and repairs on my mother’s house, where we are currently living, and try to provide for my children by providing a better place to live. Our current residence is in a state of disrepair and has no heating. Our pipes freeze every winter and it takes away any chance I have to save money to move us to a better place. Now that we are approved, we are so hopeful for what our future holds.|
Need for Housing
- You are a first-time home-buyer or have not owned a home in the past 3 years.
- You are a U.S. citizen or legal resident of the United States
- Your present housing situation is overcrowded, unsafe inside and/or outside, in substandard condition or lacks inoperable plumbing and heating.
- Your family lives in subsidized housing.
- You are unable to secure adequate housing through the private market.
- Your residence is not accessible to all household members.
- Your family is currently living with friends or relatives.
Ability to Pay
- Your total household income falls between 30%-60% of HUD Area Median Income.
- You and/or your co-applicant have a stable combined income of at least $1400 monthly.
- You have paid rent on time for at least the past 12 months.
- You have not had a foreclosure or bankruptcy discharged in the past 2 years.
- You will clear any old debts (judgements, liens and collections) and maintain a low debt level.
- The family is committed to maintaining a savings account for emergencies.
Note: Habitat staff can help you make a plan to play off old debts and offers one-to-one or group money management classes.
Willingness to Partner
- You will contribute “sweat equity hours” and attend all required classes.
- You will live where Habitat is building.
- You understand that you may be offered a building lot OR a renovated house.
- You plan to stay in the house and become a part of the neighborhood, and understand that there are certain resale restrictions.
Thank you for your interest in applying for Habitat for Humanity in the Roanoke Valley’s Home Ownership program!