The Benefits of Habitat Homeownership
|"I will be the first person in my family to own a house and I will have something to leave my children."|
- House sold at no profit with a zero-interest loan
- Down payment assistance from the City of Roanoke
- Affordable income-based monthly payments
- $1,000 down payment
- Well-constructed, attractively landscaped houses suited to the family’s size
- New Whirlpool appliances (range, refrigerator, washer and dryer)
- Central air conditioning and heat
- Energy-efficient homes with low utility bills
- Warranty coverage and instruction about how to repair and maintain the new home
- Accessible house design based on the family’s needs
- Ongoing opportunity for support, advice and refresher financial management from Habitat
- Your own yard for planting flowers and a vegetable garden
- The opportunity to build wealth and become part of the neighborhood
Habitat’s safe, affordable housing offers strength, stability and self-reliance to families so that they can build a better life for themselves.
The Application Process
Habitat is different from other housing programs. We partner with qualified families who join us in our goal of renewing neighborhoods as well as improving their own lives. Habitat builds and renovates houses and sells them at no profit with no-interest loans over a 20-30 year term. House size is determined by family make-up, with no more than two persons sharing a room. Monthly payments, which include taxes and insurance, are based on the family’s income and the cost to build the house.
Habitat consider the need for housing, ability to make mortgage payments and willingness to partner. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for homeownership without regard to age, color, religion, sex, familial make up, disability, national origin or any other protected status. Special accommodations are available upon request. Application information will be kept confidential.
- Learn about the Habitat program and how to apply by attending a meeting at the Habitat office, 3435 Melrose Avenue, N.W., Roanoke VA 24017 at 9:00 am on the first Saturday of any month, or by calling or meeting with Jean Darby, Habitat’s Family Services Director.
|"I’m a hard-working man that loves my community. I volunteer my time as an athletic coach for basketball and also umpire youth baseball. I try to give back as much as possible. As a homeowner this will give my son & me a sense of stability and start a new chapter in our lives, and we’re very thankful for the opportunity."
- Call the Habitat office (540-344-0747) to make an appointment to fill out your application, and bring copies of all required documentation (CLICK FOR LIST), or request an application and return it within 30 days with copies of all required documents.
- Once your application with all documentation has been received, Habitat will conduct credit, landlord, background and employment checks and make one or more home visits to establish your need for housing. This will complete your application.
- The Habitat Board of Directors will approve or deny your application within 30 days of completion, based on the 3 criteria of Need, Ability to Pay and Willingness to Partner.