The Benefits of Habitat Homeownership
Research shows: Homeownership leads to greater educational achievements
Children of homeowners are significantly more likely to stay in school until age 17 than children of renters, especially in low-income households, according to a study in the Journal of Urban Economics.
Children in home owning families outperform children in renting families in math and reading achievement tests, even when other factors are the same. These children will have fewer behavioral problems, higher educational attainment and greater future earnings, according to a study by an Ohio State University economist.
- House sold at no profit with a zero-interest loan
- Down payment assistance from the City of Roanoke
- Affordable income-based monthly payments
- $1,000 down payment
- Well-constructed, attractively landscaped houses suited to the family’s size
- New Whirlpool appliances (range, refrigerator, washer and dryer)
- Central air conditioning and heat
- Energy-efficient homes with low utility bills
- Warranty coverage and instruction about how to repair and maintain the new home
- Accessible house design based on the family’s needs
- Ongoing opportunity for support, advice and refresher financial management from Habitat
- Your own yard for planting flowers and a vegetable garden
- The opportunity to build wealth and become part of the neighborhood
Habitat’s safe, affordable housing offers strength, stability and self-reliance to families so that they can build a better life for themselves.